Sunday, July 26, 2020

Tripods don't work in quicksand

I learned this lesson while shooting at Mont St. Michel on the coast of Normandy in France.  I planned my two-day visit to the monastery to coincide with the full moon and even had a computer program telling me exactly where to expect the sun and moon to appear at any given hour.  Unfortunately, in spite of all the technology assisting me, the weather ruined my preconceived images because the coast was totally socked in by fog and heavy rain clouds as front after front blew through.

Giving up on dramatic sun and moon photos, I tried for a moody shot taken at low tide with a wide angle lens showing a huge expanse of sand in front of the monastery with a leading line formed by the last trickle of the receding water.  Donning my green Wellies, I hiked out onto the formerly submerged sand to get the appropriate angle.  I had seen signs warning about quicksand, but I walked carefully and had no problems as I found the suitable position.  I set up my gear and then waited for the racing clouds to part in just the right way to put a little light on the building.  And waited.  And waited.  Letting my mind wander... I was brought back to reality when I saw my camera and tripod moving, drifting slowly to the right and down.  It was sinking!  And so was I.  My feet had sunk so much that my insteps were completely covered with quicksand.  I extricated the tripod and then, with visions of being stuck there as the tide came in, I tried to free myself, which took quite an effort and almost ended up with me seated in the sand.  Finally, with a giant sucking sound, my feet came free and I retreated to firmer ground.    (Click on photos for larger versions.)


No comments: