Friday, June 5, 2020

I was a Playboy centerfold, Miss March 1967

It was a nice morning in March, 1967.  I walked in the front door of Walter Johnson High School in Bethesda, Maryland, and heard someone say, “There she is.”  I looked up to see the stairs on each side of the entrance and the balcony above filled with boys, all grinning, laughing, nudging each other and all of them looking at me.  I glanced around to see if there was anyone else they could be looking at, but no, I was the only one there at the moment.  I had no idea what was going on so I just proceeded to homeroom feeling puzzled.  All morning long, boys were staring at me in the hallways and laughing, exchanging comments with each other, but no one would tell me what it was about.  Finally at lunch time, feeling totally perplexed and a bit angry, I cornered a friend of mine and demanded to know what the hell was going on.  He looked around cautiously and then pulled something out of his book bag.  It was a Playboy magazine.  Now I was really puzzled. I had no idea where this was going until he opened it to the centerfold and showed me the top part of it.  I gasped and my eyes bugged out.  I thought I was looking in a mirror.  Miss March was a dead ringer for me!  At the time I always wore glasses and Miss March was wearing glasses almost identical to mine.  How many centerfold models wore glasses???  I was completely stunned, but insisted on seeing the rest of the centerfold.  Poor Miss March had the BIGGEST pair of breasts I had ever seen, so big it is a wonder she could walk upright, and this was before silicone!  Just my luck. The absurdity of the whole thing hit me, and my friend and I sat on the floor laughing our heads off.  

My friend was the yearbook and school newspaper photographer and he had a fun idea.  Miss March wore her hair piled up on her head, so he suggested that I should pin up my hair and he would take a photo of me holding up the centerfold, just the top part, next to my face.  I assumed the photo would be just for him and me.  I thought it would be hilarious, so the next day I arrived at school with my hair pinned up.  Naturally this set off another near riot.  My friend took the photo, then proceeded to print up dozens of them which he sold for a buck apiece.  Oh well.  I have a good sense of humor so I proceeded to autograph the photos for the guys saying things like, “Dear Tom, I will never forget the night we spent together. Love, Fran.”  (Fran was her name.). 

After that first day in school, I did a terrible thing to my mother.  I bought a copy of the magazine and when I got home, I put on a shaky voice and said, "Mom, I have something to tell you.  You'd better sit down."  She looked very upset, and I don't even want to imagine what she thought I was going to say.  I hemmed and hawed as if I were afraid to tell her and then said in a plaintive voice, "I did it just for a lark.  I never dreamed they would use the pictures."  Then I handed her the Playboy and opened it to the centerfold.  She looked at the photo in horror and said, "Oh Cindy, what have you done??"  She was absolutely convinced it was me.  She was in such agony that I couldn't let her suffer for too long, so I opened up the centerfold so she could see all of it.  Somehow, she realized it wasn't me...  

My friend is now a film editor in Hollywood.  He did Al Gore’s An Inconvenient Truth, all of Sean Penn’s movies as well as Silver Linings Playbook, American Hustle, A Star is Born and Into the Wild.  He has two academy award nominations, and he still has the negative of this photo in his files. 

Me, not airbrushed, with Miss March


Fran



6 comments:

Rod from the other Salem said...

Cynthia: Thanks to Google, we can revisit this particular snow of yesterday. Your memory of Ms. March's, well, features is spot-on accurate:
https://www.vintageplayboymags.co.uk/60s/Mar/07.htm

Ben in Seattl said...

I can see how even your own mother was confused. But, oh, what a trick to have played on her!

Anonymous said...

Your photo here has gotten quite a lot of attention at Reddit's r/oldschoolcool subreddit. See link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OldSchoolCool/comments/r00opx/this_is_a_1967_photo_of_high_school_student/

Nightstone said...

this popped up on Reddit again today and some of the commenters were wondering how many prom invites you got that year?

Cynthia Blanton said...

LOL. Only one prom invite because I had a boyfriend by then. Lots of other dates. I had a great time at that school.

Anonymous said...

Laughing even more because have friends who live there and their kids attend that high school I wonder if your legacy is still known